Gardening Jobs in April
April is known for April showers so if you can’t get out in the garden you will hopefully be able to get in the greenhouse and shed and make the most of it. In May you will be getting ready to plant out in the ground and the months will be getting busier so make sure you have done all your gardening jobs in April. We also explain what needs to be done in the allotment in April so it is beneficial for the allotment and the garden. All these tasks are for April gardening jobs UK.
Allotment and Kitchen Garden Book
Are you starting an allotment or planning on growing your own fruit, vegetables, herbs, and flowers in a kitchen garden? If so we highly recommend the book Allotment Month By Month. This does exactly what it does on the cover to help you with what you should be doing in the allotment and kitchen garden each month. Below you can see the link for Amazon where you can purchase the book directly. This book is extremely popular with all allotment holders as you will read in the reviews:-
You can check out all the allotment and kitchen garden books we recommend here.
April Vegetable Garden Jobs
April like March is about preparing those vegetable beds ready for the months ahead. Preparation is the key to success when growing vegetables.
- Asparagus: – Hopefully you should soon be able to start to harvest these.
- Peas:- If you are growing an early crop of peas make sure that you have added supports for them as they start to grow tall
- Prepare seedbeds:- Add compost, and green manure to improve the soil this month.
April Fruit Garden Jobs
As the fruit trees and plants start to wake up and start growing, this month is important to protect them to get the best crops out of them.
- Fruit Trees – Make sure these have been mulched. Don’t have mulch right up to the trunk though as this could cause rotting on the trunk.
- Raspberries – Add a slow-release fertilizer to help feed the plants this year.
April Flower Garden Jobs
As the weather starts to warm up in the garden now is the time to start preparing the garden ready for the summer. Lets give our plants that extra boost to get some great blooms in the garden for summer.
- Heathers – prune winter heathers this month as they start to fade.
- Pansies – deadhead any old winter pansies.
- Primrose – These can be divided this month as they stop flowering.
- Roses – Make sure you tie up any rambling roses.
- Sweetpeas – Pinch out the tips of sweet peas so that they bush out when they grow.