What to plant in May UK
May is finally here hopefully the last of the frost this month so the list of what seeds to plant in may and what plants to plant in May is getting longer and longer. How many fruits and vegetables to plant in May will you do? Here we will be giving you all the best advice what vegetables to plant in may and what flowers to plant in May to make your gardens bloom this summer.
You will be able to click on the seed or the plant and it will take you through to Amazon where you can find out more information and order the seeds to try growing yourself in the allotment or in the garden in May.
Allotment and Kitchen Garden Book
Are you starting an allotment or planning on growing your own fruit, vegetables, herbs, and flowers in a kitchen garden? If so we highly recommend the book Allotment Month By Month. This does exactly what it does on the cover to help you with what you should be doing in the allotment and kitchen garden each month. Below you can see the link for Amazon where you can purchase the book directly. This book is extremely popular with all allotment holders as you will read in the reviews:-
You can check out all the allotment and kitchen garden books we recommend here.
What Vegetables to Plant in May
If you are looking for what seeds to plant in May we have a list of all the vegetables that can be sown in May. This list will be quite long as the temperatures are getting perfect for starting your vegetable seeds germinating. Don’t forget you can click the title of each item where it will take you to Amazon where you can purchase the seeds and plants.
- Beetroot – This is one great thing you can grow on the allotment or in the garden. How do you eat your beetroot freshly boiled or pickled? There is still time to keep sowing it.
- Broccoli – There is still time to sow broccoli and get great results. Either sow it in the ground or seed trays.
- Brussel Sprouts – This is the last month to sow Brussels sprouts – that’s if you like them or will you be giving them all away.
- Cabbage – This is the last month to be sowing your cabbage for great results in the summer and autumn
- Carrots – You can now start to sow carrots in the ground rather than seed trays. Remember it does not like Stoney ground or it will split.
- Cauliflower – MAy is the last month to be sowing your cauliflowers for harvests in Summer and Autumn
- Courgette – You still have time to sow courgettes so if any have got eaten start some more off this month
- Cucumber – Pot up your cucumber seedlings this month ready for moving to the final position next month.
- French Beans – You still have time to sow French beans either in the ground or in pots first before planting out if you have an issue with mice and birds eating things.
- Kale – Get your kale in this month if you have not already sown it.
- Lettuce – This is the last month to be sowing your lettuce to grow outside. You can always sow some next month but to grow undercover in a polytunnel or cold frame.
- Marrow – This month is the last chance to sow your marrow seeds.
- Peas – There is still plenty of time to be sowing peas so why not start a second crop off now as your first crop should be ready for picking soon.
- Parsnips – May is the last month to be sowing your parsnips in the ground. Don’t start these off in seed trays as they don’t like to be moved.
- Pumpkin – You can still sow pumpkin seeds this month but they probably will not grow massive. April is the best time to start pumpkin seeds off to be massive.
- Radish – Get more radish sown this month. Keep sowing a few every month for regular harvests for your salad bowl
- Runner Beans – Why not start the second lot of runner beans off. Replace ny that have not grown well.
- Spinach – Direct sow spinach this month for fantastic harvests later in the year.
- Spring Onion – Keep sowing spring onion seeds directly in the ground for regular harvests.
- Squash – This is the last time you can plant squash sees until next year.
- Sweetcorn – Why not start a second batch of sweetcorn off. The earlier you plant it the better results you will get from the plants.
- Swiss Chard – Have you tried growing chard before. Why not sow some this month and give it a try.
- Tomatoes – Start potting your tomatoes up in the final position this month
- Turnip – Direct sow your turnip seeds into the ground this month
Herbs to plant in May
The herbs to plant in May are Parsley, Dill, Coriander and chives. You can sow these directly into the ground. The best option is to sow them in containers and either sink them into the ground or leave on top as the herbs will spread. You could also start some perennial herbs off these can be lovage, thyme, rosemary and sage.
What Fruit to plant in May
Are you looking at growing some fruit this year in the garden and the allotment but don’t know where to begin? Here we will be explaining what fruit to plant in May.
- Why not try growing melons this year? You will need a sunny area and a warm greenhouse or polytunnel for them to grow.
What Flowers to plant in May
Do you want to brighten up your garden with beautiful flowers and colours this year but don’t want the added expense of purchasing all the plants? Why not try growing your own flowers from seed which is a lot cheaper. It is not as hard as you think. All you need is somewhere to germinate them in a greenhouse or a windowsill. Here we will be looking at what flowers to plant in May.
- Foxgloves – Now is the time to sow foxgloves. These will not flower this year but will next year. So get ahead and get sowing them now
- Poppies – These are so easy to grow all you need to do is sprinkle some seeds in the area you want them. These will produce seed heads once they have flowered and you can then sprinkle these.
- Primulas – So some primula seeds now for flowering next year. These flowers always brighten up a garden.
- Nigella – These are the seeds that the birds love but you can also grow them as flowers. Sow some this month
- Salvia – Sow these in seed trays in the greenhouse for fantastic flowers.
- Sunflowers – See who can grow the tallest sunflowers. These are great to grow with the kids.
We hope you have found this list useful of vegetables, herbs and flowers to plant in May. What seeds will you be planting this month?